My fated loves – fashion and food.
So, I was in the mood to bake something…
APPLE DUTCH BABY
What’s a Dutch baby? I’m not quite sure, but it’s ridiculously delicious. Here it is, minus sauce and ice cream, straight out of the warm oven.
3 T. sugar
1 t. cornstarch
3 T. water
1 cup berries (we used frozen, but I could recommend not raspberries unless you’re going to strain the sauce)
1 t. lemon juice
4 T. butter, divided
3/4 cup milk (whole is better, we used 2%)
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3 T. sugar, divided
1 t. vanilla extract
1/4 t. salt
2 apples, cored and cut into slices (we used Cortland)
Ice cream (we had this delicious raspberry almond ice cream we’d made awhile ago)
How to make it!
1. Prepare the berry sauce:
2. In a small saucepan, mix the sugar and cornstarch together. Add in water. Add berries and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and berries are softened, about 4-5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice. Set aside. (Can be made ahead and refrigerated. Simply re-warm before using to top dessert).
3. Preheat oven to 425°F.
4. Melt 2 T. butter in the microwave and then pour into a bowl. Add eggs, milk, flour, 1 T. sugar, vanilla extract, and salt. Blend batter until smooth. Let sit while you prepare the apples.
5. Heat a 12-inch cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Melt the remaining 2 T. of butter. Add the remaining 2 T. sugar and cook, stirring constantly, until the sugar starts to caramelize, about 2 minutes. Add apples to skillet and increase heat to medium-high. Cook, stirring frequently, until softened.
Here’s how he cored the apples (optional…)
6. Briefly re-blend the batter, then pour evenly over apples. Transfer the skillet to the pre-heated oven.
7. Bake until puffed and golden brown all over, about 18-22 minutes.
8. Let cool slightly! Top with many scoops of ice cream. Then pour blueberry sauce liberally over everything, then serve immediately right from the skillet.
9. Sooo delicious, so please enjoy!
It took us about half an hour to prep everything, then 20 minutes to bake.
My lonely single slice. Lonely because it was only one slice.
Makes about 4 servings.
I’m definitely making this again super soon. Breakfast? Lunch? Dinner? Midnight snack? Yes to all.